The Society of African Missions [SMA] is an international Society of priests and brothers dedicated to the preaching of the Gospel of Jesus Christ particularly in Africa and among peoples of African origin.
Conscious that the Gospel embraces all aspects of human life, the SMA is also committed to engaging in activities that promote human dignity, respect and care for the environment.
The position of the SMA Communications Officer is a fulltime one [35 hours per week] based in the Cork area. The applicant will be subject to a probationary period and Garda vetting, in accordance with Child Protection & Safeguarding requirements. The Salary is to be negotiated.
- Facilitating communication between the various departments and areas of work within the SMA Irish Province, as well as between the different SMA communities, in Ireland and beyond.
- Preparing articles relevant to the SMA mission and priorities for the website, magazine and local and national media outlets.
- Cooperating with the SMA Justice Office, Laity Office and other SMA departments in preparing publicity materials relating to events and issues.
- Preparing Statements and Press releases at the direction of the Provincial administration in response to events relevant to the Society and its mission.
- Promoting a positive image of Africa.
- Promoting the mission of the SMA using social media.
- Maintaining the SMA website – www.sma.ie
- Assisting in the preparation of short videos, scripts, etc., for use on www.sma.ie and other units of the Society, as requested.
- In consultation with the Provincial Leadership to undertake other tasks deemed necessary to the communication of the SMA message.
PERSON SPECIFICATION SMA Communications Officer
The successful candidate will have:
- A third level qualification in a relevant area e.g. public relations/affairs or journalism
- Ability to contribute to the development of ideas, actions and programmes relevant to the mission of the SMA
- Demonstrable experience in website maintenance (WordPress) and management
- Journalistic and writing experience, including researching and publishing articles, reports, briefings and statements.
- A high level of computer literacy especially in word processing and multimedia applications.
- Experience of public relations work especially in interaction with a wide range of media agencies and publications.
- An ability to react quickly to issues needing a prompt statement or press release.
- A proven ability of speaking publicly and dealing with the media.
- An ability to support and promote the SMA’s commitment to social justice and social development.
- A willingness to learn about the SMA and to engage with SMA personnel and communities in Ireland.
- A willingness to assist and support the SMA Leadership, SMA communities and departments in planning the communications and publicity around issues and events relevant to their work.
- A willingness to travel to and participate in SMA events as required.
- Respect for the Christian ethos and missionary commitment of the SMA.
- To undertake all administrative reporting and accounting relevant to the position.
- A full driving licence.
It would be useful if the candidate has:
- Experience of working with groups advocating or supporting action for social justice.
- Experience of working in a developing country, preferably in Africa.
- Experience of using social media platforms such as Twitter, Facebook etc.
- Knowledge of and experience in video production.
- An understanding of Catholic Social Teaching.
- Experience of working within or cooperating with Church groups.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE SMA Communications Officer
Applicants should apply by Email demonstrating how they will fulfil the role and requirements described in the Job Description and Person Specification. Also attach a CV.
Those shortlisted for Interview will receive an email invitation, by the end of January, to participate in an interview process.
Applications should be sent to Fr Maurice Henry SMA at firstname.lastname@example.org before 31 December 2015.